Traditionally, stitches and staples are used to close the wound in surgical procedures. Patients may not think they have a choice when it comes to the closing technique used in their surgical procedure, but they do. Several Central Indiana Orthopedics’ surgeons, including Drs Graybill, Surtani, Chen, Camilleri and Jerman, offer patients the Zip Surgical Skin Closure as an alternative to sutures and staples. Zip is a non-invasive wound closure device designed to improve a patient’s recovery experience.
Zip replaces sutures, staples and glue for surgical incisions and lacerations. It is used for skin closure after deeper, tension-reducing suture layers are applied. The Zip improves the patient’s recovery experience by offering the following benefits:
- Minimizes scarring: Zip eliminates “railroad” marks that often come with sutures or staples.
- Protects during activities: Zip functions as a “cage” over the wound, protecting the wound from disturbance. Additionally, no punctures that may allow bacteria into the wound site.
- Strong and secure: The patented force distribution design protects the wound while keeping it securely closed, even during joint flexion. Unlike glue with mesh, the wound is visible throughout the recovery process, enabling the care team and patient to easily monitor wound healing.
- Moves with you naturally: The Zip does not create the pulling and pinching (from stitches and staples) often felt in normal movements and during rehabilitation activities.
- Easy to remove: Removal is as easy as peeling off a bandage.
Ask your surgeon if Zip Surgical Skin Closure is an option for wound closure. For more information about Zip Surgical Skin Closure, visit https://www.ziplinemedical.com/zip/